Thursday, January 15, 2015

Joy in January

For the past several years I've had a special "word for the year" rather than setting New Year's resolutions as I used to do. I don't choose this special word lightly - - actually I pray about it and then wait to see what the Lord impresses on my heart.
Back in December I started thinking and praying about my "Word for 2015" and before long the Lord clearly gave me the word JOY. My first thoughts were: Am I understanding the Lord? In the past I've had words like TRUST, PERSEVERE, and SERVE. So....I prayed some more, and sure enough it was clear. My Word for 2015 is JOY.
I want to be JOYFUL every day - - not just when things are going smoothly, but EVERY day. Because as a Christian I have many reasons to be joyful - - especially knowing I have a Savior who loves me and has promised me eternal life!
This special word also has another meaning in my life. Many years ago my precious Mama (now in Heaven) told me that the way to have true joy in your life is to live this way:  Put JESUS first - J
                                                          Put OTHERS next - O
                                                          Put yourself last - Y
Her reminder has stayed with me over the years, and that is how I always want to live. I show my love for Jesus by serving and doing for others, and in doing that I receive joy. May I always have a spirit of joy in all that I do.
     Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.  
                                                                                    Psalm 16:11

2 comments:

Sherida Stewart said...

Your mama's thoughts on true joy are so perfect! I"ll remember JOY this way. Thank you for sharing your word for 2015.

My word is lovingkindness, but life has been so busy that I haven't done my blog post about choosing my one word. I too like the way God chooses the word for us through prayer.

Blessings!

CatMom said...

Oh Sherida....I love your word for 2015!
Thank you so very much for stopping by my little corner. I must do better about posting on here (where does the time go?!).
Hugs to you, Patti Jo :)